Tuesday, February 28 – Wednesday, March 1, 2023
Location: CRC Focus Group Facility, Toronto
If you are an aspiring – or relatively new – moderator looking to acquire the essential skills needed for moderating in-person focus groups and interviews for qualitative research this course is for you! The valuable skills you will acquire through this course are also transferrable to user experience (UX) research. This course, delivered in-person over 2 days, will help you develop a skillset for powerful questioning and effective listening. The focus will be on learning how to ask the right questions, gaining the skills to confidently run in-group exercises, and understanding how to manage basic group dynamics.
The course is hands-on, with generous opportunities to practice moderating skills both in a theoretical and real-life context. The last part of the course will have you designing the guide for and moderating a real focus group, putting your new skills into practice. Come prepared to engage, have fun and learn all about the essentials of in-person moderation!
We will primarily focus our learning and practice on:
- Setting yourself up for success before fieldwork
- Understanding the elements of good Discussion Guide design
- How to introduce a group and build rapport
- Asking effective questions and probes
- Maintaining the flow of the discussion and keeping it on track
- Managing group dynamics, including challenging respondents
- Tips for specialized questioning techniques and exercises to elicit deeper responses
At the conclusion of this Moderating Essentials Course, participants will have:
- A new skillset that will enable them to understand how, and when, to ask effective questions and probes
- A good understanding of some specialized tools and exercises that can enhance in-person qualitative discussions
- An understanding of group dynamics and some techniques to overcome typical challenges of in person qualitative discussions
Who is this course intended for?
This course would be well-suited for those with education in market research or at least 1 year experience working in the market research field who are also aspiring moderators (or relatively new moderators) looking to acquire a skillset for moderating in person focus groups qualitative discussions. Participants will ideally have at least observed focus groups in the past.
Educator: Deborah Klotz and Bronwen Ward
Delivery: In-person across 2 full day sessions
Size of class: Maximum 6 participants
$2800 plus HST for CAIPs
$3000 plus HST for non-members